This page contains information for Arrow JS contributors.
API Design Notes
RecordBatchReader.from() returns different
RecordBatchReader subclasses depending on what source is being read.
Markdown vs JSDoc
- The markdown version contains a "Developer Guide" which is not present in the jsdoc.
- The jsdoc version includes the full Typescript type information and is more richly hyperlinked and can be valuable to developers as a supplement to the markdown reference when those particular details matter.
- To avoid excessive duplication and possible divergence between markdown and JSDoc, it is recommended that the JSDoc version contains brief summary texts only.
- Reviewers should make sure that PRs affecting the JS API (bothk features and bug fixes) contain appropriate changes to the markdown docs (in the same way that such PRs must contain appropriate changes to e.g. test cases).
- When appropriate, to ensure the markdown docs remain "the source of truth" for the Arrow JS API, bugs should be reviewed first towards the markdown documentation, e.g. to see if the documented behavior is incorrectly specified and needs to be fixed.